Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Best Sugar Cookie Recipe

This is the best and easiest sugar cookie recipe you will find.  Back when I was a cake decorator a fellow decorator shared this recipe and now it's the only one I use for sugar cookies.  I love it because it's great for last minute rolling.  Usually you need to refrigerate your dough for several hours before you can roll it out, but not with this recipe.  You can mix it up, roll it out, throw it in the oven for 4 minutes and you're ready to decorate.  I like to roll mine out a little thicker for a soft cookie.
Sugar Cookies:
1 Cup Soft Butter
1 Cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3 Cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cream of tartar (this is the secret ingred. for allowing you to roll them out right away!)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine the butter and sugar.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Mix well.  Add dry ingredients.  Mix well.  Roll out.  Cut out.  Bake at 400 degrees for 4 minutes.  Enjoy!

Frosting
I like this frosting the best.  But if you want to do the piping like I did in the pictures below you will need royal icing.  Sorry to be confusing, but I like the taste of this frosting best.  Royal icing doesn't taste the best, but it makes for the prettiest cookies!

3/4 Cup Soft Butter
4    Cups Powdered Sugar
3    T water
1    tsp vanilla
1    egg white

Sift powdered sugar.  Combine butter sugar and water.  Mix well.  Add vanilla and egg white and mix well.  Add food coloring if you'd like.  Have fun frosting the cookies!

I wanted to do a tutorial on how to do flood work with pretty designs, but it's kinda tricky to photograph at midnight!  I made these cookies for my dear friend's baby shower.  We were celebrating the anticipation of Lucy Wren.  I didn't get a chance to snap many pics from the shower, but it was gorgeous.  I have some talented friends who know how to throw a party.  I made this little embroidery hoop sign.
And here are the pictures from the valentine cookie decorating party at my house.  

6 comments:

ness said...

Yum, those cookies almost look to good to eat, they're so pretty! My favorite ingredient in sugar cookies in almond extract.

Lisa said...

Your sugar cookies look like they came straight out of a magazine. They're just so pretty. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-8.html

Rose Plated said...

OH! How love to see your kids enjoying those cookie frostings. I think I can make this activity for my kids and me bonding. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Hollie Joy In The Morning said...

Oh my goodness those cookies are incredible!!!!
And I love, love the lucy on the wall!!
So clever=)
Love
Hollie
PS...i'm sorry it took so long to be a follower, I have no idea why!!

Piano Schoenhut said...

All of those cookies are so gorgeous! I will make these for my girl’s birthday party. She will love this one for sure.

Unknown said...

I really appreciate this post and information as well, I never seen such type of post thanks a lot for sharing with us. . .
corporate relocation services cuttack.