Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Goals, NOT Resolutions

So it's a new year. I looked over my blog from this last year. I didn't label posts at all until just recently. I'm really trying to be more organized in all aspects of my life. So for this blog I'm going to try to be more specific about my posts. Usually I find that I'm blogging about 3 different topics, and then it's hard to label them. Although, that's life, isn't it. It's all intermingled, and it all weaves together. So we'll see what happens. I'm not big on resolutions, I like the idea of setting goals. I always do that. I think I hate resolutions because I still get horrible images of school- sitting in a desk, staring at a blank piece of paper, trying to think what I can do to improve this year! I hated being forced to do that, I always thought it was dumb! And what kind of word is that anyway, resolution? I don't like the sound of it. So calling them resolutions are dumb, but setting goals, that is fine.
Some goals:
*no pop (I've been very good with this so far, I am realistic with this one now, I can drink it on occasion if I'm at someones house, but I don't buy it to drink at our house)
*drink more milk (this one has been going well also, and I've been drinking more water, now I have a new Sigg waterbottle I enjoy it more!)
*be active (I have to do this one solo, Sam and I can't both go out, so I'm going to hike and cross country ski, do some yoga, and some stuff at home)
*eat well (we have been doing better with this one, again, the organization is key, i'm starting a food journal and trying to plan out meals)
*be more organized (Sam has been really good at helping me with this one, I'd be lost without him)
*start an Etsy shop (I've been wanting to do this ever since I started this blog, I think I can do it this year because I have more time to make things, so I need to still work on making a lot of stuff-my sewing skills are really lacking, but hey it'll get better)
*learn to speak Spanish fluently (this is a long term goal, I don't know if it will happen this year, but we want to spend some time in a Spanish speaking country. And I've been looking over my blog from last year and just found a comment from someone who lived in Guatemala and learned Spanish, so I really need to e-mail her, I'm excited about that.
*get caught up on my scrapbooking (this time of year has me looking things over, and I do think this year this is realistic, I've already got a good start. I have to look at being cooped up here as an opportunity to make things, I have so much scrapbooking to do!)

So of course I have a lot of typical goals that everyone seems to have. I will try. I have learned to be content at all times. This is a good thing. Life would be boring if we weren't trying to stretch ourselves and try new things, but we should always be content with where we're at at the current time. It's too easy to get sucked into thinking, I'll be happy when... But why not look at the stuff we're blessed with now. This seems like such a simple thing, but it's taken me a few years to learn. I truly believe it now, I may not be happy all the time, but definitely content, and I try to be happy as much as possible. No one likes to be around and listen to negative people. And I'll never forget that statistic I learned in my communications class, it takes 10 happy people to counter 1 negative thought. I have a lot to be thankful for this year and I can't wait to see what God has in store for our lives for the future.

Phil 4:11-14
Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

I can't even compare, I have never truly suffered, never gone hungry or put in prison, but we all have bad days. And remembering that we are saved and we have heaven to look forward to should always keep us content. I know I'm being all preachy, every once in awhile I get in these moods!

No comments: