Wednesday, January 21, 2009

But I'm not a Doctor

I just had one of those- "yes, of course, why am I so stupid" moments the other day.  I really admire the people who go to other countries to help out those in need.  I always thought-oh I wish I was a doctor so I could really do some good.  I have a bunch of nursing friends, and I think, oh they can do so much to help people in other countries.  I always thought, what am I going to do, teach them how to bake a cake?  Paint a pretty picture, make their house look nice.  It seems so insignificant and so stupid.  In the back of my head, I was always thinking I need to acquire some other skills so I can really help people.  But as always, I am humbled.  I really feel stupid thinking about it now.  It's as if I am saying to God, thanks for giving me those gifts, but no thanks, they're not really good enough.  Well, my friend Elizabeth just told me that someone is doing that very thing, teaching girls how to make cakes so they can escape a life of sex trafficking in Cambodia.  I was just in a quilting store and I saw that they were traveling to Mozambique to teach girls how to sew for that same reason. They can learn a skill which they can be paid for so they don't have to sell themselves.  And Soule Mama has a wonderful blog called Mama to Mama that is dedicated to hand crafting items to help others in need.  She just finished a big project to give mothers in Haiti a simple kit of baby caps and blankets and a few other essentials to help in the birthing process.  They have the highest maternal mortality ratioin the Western Hemisphere.  In giving the mothers a few simple things for birth, this can be changed. 

Are all apostles?  Are all prophets?  Are all teachers?  Do all work miracles?
Do all have gifts of healing?  Do all speak in tongues?  Do all interpret?  But eagerly desire the greater gifts.
1 Corinthians 12:30-31

That last part-but eagerly desire the greater gifts- that was me for sure!  The Corinthians were seeking status through the gifts that they thought were most important.  But Paul was explaining that all the gifts are important and all serve a purpose.   I Corinthians 12 is a good section.  I shouldn't just pull that one part because it's hard to describe.  

So I thank God for giving me the gift of making things and I pray that I am able to use this gift to help serve others.  So if you are thinking that the gifts you have aren't all that special or significant, think again.  And if you're not sure what your gifts are pray that God will reveal them to you.  

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves,
it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast.  For we are God's workmanship,
created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Ephesians 2:8-10

Ok, one last rambling here.  You might be familiar with v. 8 and 9.  I memorized them, but can't believe I didn't memorize verse 10.  God prepared ahead of time for us to do good works.  Isn't that cool.  So I'm working on adding that last part to my memory.

So I must say.  I feel all preachy, and not so comfortable doing so.  I don't want to be all-"look at what I know, listen to me."  But this has been on my heart lately and I just wanted to share it, hoping that God will work in your hearts to feel more confident in the gifts He's given you and the work He's called you to do.


4 comments:

Danielle Ryan said...

This was really inspiring. It's so easy to categorize gifts and talents into two categories: the ones that are important and useful for God's work and the ones that really aren't. It's good to see real examples of those "unimportant" talents doing a lot of good.

Anonymous said...

Hi Becca, Thanks for your comment over at Art is Bliss. It makes your old art teacher very happy to read how you plan use art to help others.

Anonymous said...

Make that "plan to use art..." Jeepers.

Amanda said...

Thanks so much for this blog. It was nice to be reassured again that God does have gifts designed for all of us. We just get the pleasure of discovering what they are!

~Amanda