Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Handmade Holiday

I made this apron for my mother in law Linda, who loves all things poinsettia.  And I'm holding the little pin cushion project I did when Jess was here.  You'll have to convince Jess to post a picture, she has one of the three of us (Jess, Jenny Kesterson, and I) with our cupcakes!  These were inspired by Betz White.  They are pretty easy to make.  We used a felted sweater and some wool felt.  It was a project that was easily finished in an afternoon.  I think this was a first for Jess and I.  We usually take hours, if not days doing a project!
This is my favorite apron pattern by the way.  It's reversible and it's in Lotta Jansdotters book Simple Sewing (I highly recommend this book).  The first one I made I followed to a T (I will share that apron soon).   On this one I had fun with some applique.  And if you have this book, you'll notice I mad the ties around the waist extra long.  I like to tie my aprons around my waist and hang a towel from it.  And who doesn't love oversize rick rack, doesn't it just make you happy looking at it?  I made a little flower out of it and put it on the pocket (you can kinda see it in the first picture)

This is going to ruin the surprise a bit, but it's on it's way.  Some ornaments.  I had so much fun with these.  Some were a bit time consuming, but worth it in the end.  I realize now that some of Martha Stewarts projects are easier said than done!

This bag is made using a plastic bag as your pattern.  It was a bit tricky, but in the end good.  I learned how to properly line a bag.
This is an easy pattern.  It makes me think of camping and sleeping bags.
I made a few market bags.

I will have to do one more post showing a few other things I made.  And I have to show you the hat and wrist warmers my mom made me. 


3 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow Becca you've really come a long way with sewing lately. I really like the tan and plaid bag that you made, about how big is that bag? Maybe you could make me one since I love oversized bags ;) I'm working on knitting a blanket right now and I think it is going to become a lifetime project at the rate I'm going. Well keep up the good work!

Mom K said...

Great job Becca. I can tell you are having fun with your sewing machine now.I love the apron and the original aplique and flower you put on the pocket.I am always amazed at all the things you add to patterns to make them your own and your style. I love the market bags, I think I recognize some of the fabric. Can't wait to see what you make next. Mom

swell.life said...

Look at you! Sewing away...all of your projects are looking fabulous! I promise to be a better blogger next week and post the cupcake pic!