Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Wild Flowers and Weeds

These were growing in our front lawn.  Only a few had opened.  I told Sam before he mowed, he couldn't mow over these.  So he pulled them up and put them in this mason jar.  I love that he picked a mason jar over a vase.  They're simple but they make me happy, even if they fall under the weed-ish category.  They're a step up from dandelions anyway!

Sam and I have been using a great trail that winds around the river almost every evening.  Every time I walked, ran, or rollerbladed I admired the charming wild flowers.  There were purple wild irises last week.  The other night I decided to be a rebel.  I knew that if I didn't do it then, the whole summer I would be wishing and imagining the simple country bouquet that could be made if I picked and gathered a few of each.  So here it is.  I also told myself that since I picked them, instead of admiring them as they were (tsk tsk)- I had to find out the name of each flower.  I'm still working on that.  I only know a few.  I really need to pick up a field guide to wild flowers and plants.  

No comments: